Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Friday, February 5, 2010

ONE Thing

Mark 10:21

Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." (NIV)

Good morning ladies,

I woke up feeling overwhelmed this morning. Last night was Awana and lots of little things went wrong. I have quite a few people to talk to and it is so overwhelming I just want to quit.

So I wrote an e-mail to my Zebra sister in Carson City and told her I was overwhelmed and crawling back into bed. She edits my z-mails and I wanted her to know I wasn’t going to be sending one.

Of course that made her call.

She listened, spoke truth and kicked my butt out of bed.

Now the funny thing is that I had planned to write to you this morning that God only asks us to do ONE thing at a time. It is never His intention to overwhelm us.

He showed me that this week as I was attempting, once again, to develop a healthier lifestyle.

I have a friend who knows everything about nutrition and exercise, so I e-mailed her and asked her for ONE thing to do that would improve my health. I had multiple things in mind, but I gave her two to pick from.

I told myself whatever her answer was that would be the ONE thing that I would work on.

I can’t tell you how freeing it is to have ONE thing to do. I can be successful at ONE thing.

Then God showed me that He had done the same thing with me in my spiritual life. He had always just given me ONE thing to do.

First of course was salvation. You have to believe that Jesus Christ paid the penalty for our sins by His death and resurrection: Faith alone, in Christ alone, for His wonderful work on the cross alone; that is salvation.

Then when I was really mad at Him, He told me to go back to church. Then it was join a Bible study, then actually do the lesson, then join a harder Bible study, then start doing morning quiet times, then talk to women, then learn to be gracious, then lead a Bible study, then learn to be loving….on and on, ONE thing at a time.

If you are feeling overwhelmed this morning, ask God what ONE thing He wants you to do today and then resolve to do it.

You’ll feel much better, I promise.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment