Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Lent

1 Samuel 15:22

But Samuel replied: "Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams.

Good morning ladies,

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday.

Growing up I didn’t know anything about Ash Wednesday. Heck I didn’t even know the meaning of Easter. It wasn’t until I was an adult that I finally understood Easter. And I think I am still a little fuzzy on Ash Wednesday.

When Katherine was in fourth grade she had a lot of Catholic friends in her class. Many of them came to school that day with ash on their foreheads talking about what they were giving up for Lent. Katherine was intrigued and proceeded to gather information.

She had barely gotten in the car before she demanded to know why we didn’t give something up for God during Lent. Of course I didn’t have an answer because this was the first I had heard of it.

She went on to argue that since we loved God and He had done so much for us the least we could do was give something up for Him during Lent.

It seemed reasonable so I decided to join her and we give up desserts for God.

Katherine has been giving up something during Lent almost every year since and sometimes I still join her.

But what I have found is that the motive behind the sacrifice defines the experience. The first year our motives were pure, we only wanted to show God how much we loved Him, and the experience was wonderful.

The next year I think I was motivated by the fact that if you give up desserts during Lent you lose weight. Not only was it harder to do, it didn’t have much spiritual benefit and I don’t remember losing any weight.

This year I haven’t decided what I am going to do. To be honest I hadn’t really prayed about it until this morning.

And this morning God took me to a "scary" verse in Ephesians:

Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. (Note the EVERYTHING!)

I’m not exactly sure yet, but I think God wants me to practice submission for Lent.


Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment