Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, February 8, 2010

God's Word

2 Timothy 4:13

When you come, bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas, and my scrolls, especially the parchments.

Good morning ladies,

2Timothy is Paul's last letter. It was written to his "kindred spirit" Timothy from his prison cell in Rome as he awaited execution.

Theologians believe Paul's arrest probably occurred so suddenly that he was not allowed to return home to gather his personal belongings. Because his cell was cold and damp he asked Timothy to bring his cloak. Even more than the cloak, Paul wanted his parchments. These may have included parts of the Old Testament, the Gospels and copies of his own letters.

Paul was facing death and he wanted to get a copy of God's Word.

Yesterday I someone said to me they couldn’t join my Bible study because they heard I give too much homework.

This is not the first time I have heard that and it probably won’t be the last, but it always upsetting to me.

I have become fully convinced that we limit our joy because we limit our obedience and I believe that obedience starts with learning God’s Word.

How can you know what to do if you never read the book? How can you really know God if you don’t take the time to read what He says about Himself?

The Bible says that it is the very Word of God, that it is shaper than a two-edged sword, that it judges the heart, that it is good for teaching, correcting, rebuking, and training in righteousness. It shows us the love of God, the comfort of God, the sovereignty of God and the majesty of God. The Bible is the only offensive weapon we have against the world and yet we choose not to study it.

I don’t get it.

What is more important?

I may and do regret how much TV I have watched, how much time I’ve spent playing video games, and talking on the phone. But I NEVER regret for one moment the hours I have spent learning the Word of God because it is what has transformed my life.

And it is my passion to see it transform yours.

Love,

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment