Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Had Enough

1Kings 19

This is a great story; you need to read it for yourself. http://www.biblegate.com/

Good morning ladies,

I just LOVE how God works.

I had again decided not to send you an e-mail. The truth is I am fighting a case of the blues and I just didn’t have the desire to sit and write a z-mail. I had planned to write Dear ladies, Taking the day off. Love, Jill. But that seemed stupid so I decided not to write anything and turned the computer off and went to do my quiet time.

This summer I will have the privilege of teaching the high school girls at West Coast Honor Camp and I received the curriculum yesterday. It is titled Men and Women of God. The first lesson deals with the importance of looking at the people in the Bible, even though they were flawed and imperfect, as examples for our own life. I couldn’t agree more. People like Paul, David and Daniel inspire us, but lessons can be learned from everyone in the Bible.

Today My Utmost for His Highest references a famous story of depression in the Old Testament. Elijah had just done amazing things, he had seen the power of God displayed in a mighty way and then Jezebel sent him a letter saying she was going to kill him and Elijah got frightened and ran.

After running for a day Elijah was so depressed that he sat down under a tree and prayed to die. He tells God that this is all too much for him, that he has had enough and then he went to sleep.

It always surprises me that God did not get angry with Elijah, He didn’t grab him by the shoulders and tell him to “buck-up” or “get over it." Instead He sent an angel to minister to Elijah and then He came Himself.

He asked Elijah why he was there, He listened to his reply and told Elijah to stand on the mountain “for the LORD was about to pass by.” Afterwards God spoke to Elijah again and repeated His question. This time after Elijah answered, God gave him some directions to follow and Elijah obeyed. Obedience appears to have ended Elijah’s depression.

I don’t like being depressed. It feels like a sin. But it isn’t. It’s just a feeling.

It is what I do with it that makes it a sin.

If I allow my moods to dictate my life and keep me from doing the work God has called me to do, then it is a sin.

But if I am honest before God, allow Him to minister to me and obey what He tells me to do, then it is just another opportunity for growth.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment