Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, April 5, 2010

Hair Pulling Contest

Hebrews 12:5-6

And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons: "My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son."

Good morning ladies,

Most of us don’t think of discipline as something that should encourage us, but it is because it takes a lot of effort to discipline something, whether it is a dog or a person, and you only do it if you love what you are disciplining.

My father was a harsh man. He used to “discipline” my brothers and sister a lot. But he never “disciplined” me, even when I deserved it.

When I flunked French in tenth grade I hung my report card up in the kitchen so that he would see it, but he never said a word. And when I wrecked his car I kept expecting him to do something but he never did.

It was rather odd but I figured he just didn’t care.

Later when he lived with me we discussed it. I asked him why he hadn’t hit me like he had the other kids and he said by the time I was born he was tired of hitting kids and he vowed that he would never hit me, and he didn’t. And the reason that he didn’t say anything about the car was he was afraid I would run away from home if he did.

It wasn’t that he didn’t care; he just didn’t know how to show it correctly.

But God does.

God loves us enough not to let us get away with anything that is harmful to us. Of course since we have free will we can do what we want, but I find God convicts me and makes me miserable if I do and He doesn’t stop until I repent.

When Katherine was little she used to pull my hair. I had tried everything to make her stop so one time in desperation when she pulled my hair I pulled hers back. I expected that would make her let go, but it didn’t she just started pulling harder. So I started pulling harder. Eventually I pulled hard enough to hurt her and she stopped.

I don’t know about you, but sometimes I feel like I am in a hair pulling contest with God.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment