Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, April 26, 2010

Perseverance

James 1:4

Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Good afternoon ladies,

I don’t feel like writing today. To be honest I don’t want to encourage anyone, I want someone to encourage me, but that isn’t the way God has it set up right now and if there is one thing I have learned it is that the best way to change your attitude is to obey God.

The funny thing is there is no reason for me to feel discouraged. Nothing extraordinary has happened today. I have the same problems today that I had last week, but somehow today they look bigger.

Fortunately God gave me a little insight into my problem in Martin Lloyd-Jones’ book Spiritual Depression Its Causes and Cure. (Notice there is multiple causes but only one cure)

The eleventh chapter is titled “Looking at the Waves” and it is about Peter. We all know the famous story where Peter walked on water when his eyes were on Jesus, but sank into the lake when he focused on the waves.

One of the most important points about this story according to Biblical scholars is that NOTHING changed except Peter’s focus. The waves did not get worse once Peter stepped out of the boat, the wind did not start to blow. Everything remained the same yet Peter got scared.

Lloyd-Jones writes:
Now that is what I call the Peter mentality-unsteady, the kind of person who is either on top of the mountain or down in the deepest depths, either full of enthusiasm and excitement and making us all feel that we are doing nothing at all, or utterly despondent and threatening to go out of the Christian life altogether. You know the type.

Unfortunately I do.

Now of all the people in the Bible, Peter is not one I have ever wanted to be, so it was a bit upsetting to recognize myself in this passage.

But knowledge is power and now that I know that about myself, I can choose not to let it rule my life. I can choose to focus on God when I feel myself beginning to sink, I can obey even when I don’t feel like it and I can persevere.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment