Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Getting It Right

Psalm 118:24

This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Good morning Zebras,

I sure can see how Christians get confused.



I was taking my son to school this morning and he was dreading the day before him. It is cardio day in PE which means a LONG run and then he has a presentation in ACDECA that he stayed up until 1:00 am preparing. Public speaking isn’t his favorite thing and no sleep is only making it worse.

So being the good little godly mom that I am I tried to encourage him with wisdom from the Bible.

I started off with today’s verse. God has made this day and we are command to rejoice. But that didn’t seem to help so I pulled out: As a man thinketh so he is, and went on to expound on the fact that if he thinks he is going to have a bad day he will, but if he changes his thinking, he can change his day.

After I dropped him off I started thinking about what I had said. It sounded way too pop culture to be from the Bible so I came home and looked the verse up in context. I don’t want to explain what it says, but trust me it doesn’t say what I just told Nick.

Then I looked up today’s verse as well.

Psalm 118 starts with: Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever. And includes such wonderful truths as: In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. And The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? Ending as it begun with: Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.

After reading the whole Psalm I was sure it must have been written by David after one of his many victories, but again I was wrong. The author is unknown and the theme is listed as: Confidence in God’s eternal love. God’s love is unchanging in the midst of changing situations. This gives us security.


The Bible says All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. But I think that only works when we actually know what it says.


Love,
Jill




No comments:

Post a Comment