Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Friday, October 22, 2010

Honor God

1 Corinthians 1:26-27

but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong,

Good morning Zebras,

I did something yesterday I never do I sat down in the middle of the day and watched a movie. For some reason I was tired and when I got home from running errands I popped Facing the Giants into the DVD player and plopped down on the couch.

Now I figured most Christians had seen this movie, but I guess I was wrong. Last night at Awana I mentioned it to two ladies and neither one of them had seen it. It is a great movie, and I recommend you watch it, not because of its acting or its cinematography but because of the truths about God it contains.

I think there are three main truths in this movie: nothing is impossible with God; do not be afraid because God is with you, and if you honor God He will honor you. Truths, when applied to our lives, will transform it from the mundane to the spectacular.

Last week I read the life story of Eric Liddell, the Olympic runner who refused to run on Sunday giving up his chance at a gold medal rather than dishonor God. His country, which up until that point had loved him, turned on him. They wanted their medal and they wrote horrible things about him in their papers. But Eric would not be swayed. He knew that honoring God was more important than peoples’ opinions or a gold medal.

Since he wouldn’t run on Sunday he was given the opportunity to run in a different race on Monday. It was a long distance race and Eric was a sprinter but Eric agreed and God honored his obedience. Not only did he win the race, he set a new World Record. If this sounds familiar it is because his life story was made into the movie Chariots of Fire.

Facing the Giants is a fictional story, Chariots of Fire is not, yet they both teach the same truth, if you honor God He will honor you.

God does not need hugely talented people, He does not need the “best and the brightest", He does not need people who think they are doing Him a favor by helping Him out. He needs us, people whose hearts are set upon honoring Him above all else, because it’s not about us, it’s about Him. He is Sovereign Lord, able to do anything He desires to do. And amazingly He desires to honor us when we honor Him.


Jesus said: So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. "Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. And I think that is the ultimate honor.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment