Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Say What???

2 Timothy 1:11-13

And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher. That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him for that day. What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus.

Good morning Zebras,

Over six months ago I prayed to see God as He is and not through my American eyes and the result has been that God has “grown.”

Of course we all know that God doesn’t really grow, He’s as “big” today as He was yesterday and just as big as He will be tomorrow because He is unchanging. Immutable is one of His attributes, but my perception of Him has certainly grown and I don’t believe I am anywhere near finished.

This has all made me very sensitive to certain words and phrases Christians say, words that are really quite harmless but perpetuate our misunderstanding about God.

For example, someone shared on Sunday “It is difficult to trust God.” And I heard God say: “It shouldn’t be.” I have said those exact same words a hundred times, but is it really difficult to trust God? I don’t think it is IF we really know who He is. If we know He is all-powerful, all-knowing and all-loving, trusting Him should come easy.

Secondly, Christians sometimes say “God needs me to ....” No, He doesn’t. It doesn’t matter what you are talking about God didn’t need you to do it. In His sovereignty He allows you to do things, He desires for you to do things, but He doesn’t need you to do things. God can use rocks-He really doesn’t NEED our help.

A related thought is “God has to…” as if God owes us something. He doesn’t, we owe Him. God has already given us everything we need for life and godliness, it is our responsibility to add to it. He has already given us eternal life, and He didn’t have to give us that, everything else is just gravy.

And finally, Christians love to pray “God be with us.” God is always with us. He lives inside of us. He walks with us every day, through everything, at all times. We never need to pray that God will be with us.

As I read the New Testament, I am constantly challenged by Paul, Peter, John and the rest of the apostles. I keep thinking “How did they do it?” How did they stand up to torture and persecution and hardships? How did they keep going and not get discouraged.

What I have decided is that they knew God.

Love,
Jill

1 comment:

  1. Laura's comment: Maybe alot of what we say as Christians is up for interpretation...and we can get as philosphical as we choose. I believe that God "has" to keep His unwavering promises that He made to me and all mankind. Afterall, He is unwavering...But at the core of that, God made the decision to do just that when he didn't "have" to. It is up to me to receive those blessings He promised me...and God "needs" me to let go & let Him move in my life. If I keep holding onto my earthly ways and fears, then God's works will be lost in the turmoil of my life. I tend to screw things up when I try to do it myself. God is all powerful, but my earthly perception makes me believe that He needs me to strive to love and trust him Him as much as He loves me. He is the giver of all and Master of the Universe. I guess it is like the little kid who draws a picture for a parent. The parent doesn't need it, but the effort and love put into that crayon scribble sure does warm the heart of a loving caregiver. Alot up for interpretation based on where we each are in our walk...I view God as not only my creator, but as my perfect parent...I will never grow up and be an adult, but I will always be His child who needs His guidance & protection & love....and He gets my respect, love and obedience...when I am being a good kid!

    ReplyDelete