Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Limiting the Pain

2Timothy 3:12

In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted,

Good morning Zebras,

A few months ago my friend Janet became convinced that everyone who lived a godly life would suffer persecution. It was obviously something God showed her because she was adamant about it.

In my head I agreed with her, but in my heart I had doubts. I know that is what the Word of God says but I just don’t see that much persecution in the United States. Does that mean there are no godly people here?

Monday night during our study on Revelation the speaker said the same thing. “Everyone who wants to live a godly life will be persecuted.” So I had to think about it again and here is my conclusion.

I think the reason we don’t see more persecution here is because we have the ability to limit it. We only get persecuted if we really stick our necks out for Christ, if we blend in and fit in, the world will love us.

The early church didn’t have that choice. Becoming a Christian was a life changing experience. They were thrown out of the synagogue and often disowned.

Americans don’t like to suffer. We have drugs for just about everything. Most people don’t think twice about taking something for a headache or a stomach ache. Remaining comfortable is a primary goal.

And maybe that mindset has bled over into the church.

We love Jesus, we want to dedicate our lives to Him, but we also want to remain comfortable. I’m just not sure the two really go together.


Jesus said: If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.

If you feel people dislike you ask God why. If it is because you love Jesus that’s good, but if it is because you are obnoxious you might need to work on it.

And if no one dislikes you, you need to pray about that too.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment