Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Give An Answer

1 Peter 3:15b

Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.

Good morning Zebras,

Last night I had to take my mother-in-law to the emergency room. She was having an irregular heartbeat, which thankfully turned out to be nothing, but it gave me some time to sit and pray about my talk for Saturday at the Ladies’ Tea.

As I’d shared earlier this week, I think I’m going to be talking about the hope Christians have and what that means, so of course today’s verse came to mind. The more I prayed and thought about it the more I realized it is quite a challenging verse.

First, as Christians it’s assumed the “hope we have” will be evident to others. Peter said “be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks.” That means people are supposed to be asking. Do people ask you? They don’t ask me.

And second we are to have an answer when we are asked. Do you have one? A good one? Or is it just “I have hope because Jesus loves me.” That’s true, but incomplete. Jesus loves everyone; remember He came to save the whole world not just us.

This morning I decided I needed more information so I did a word search on “hope.”

This is what I found. Our hope is in Jesus, but not just because He loved us and died on the cross for our sins, but because in doing so He made a way for us to be reconciled to God. When God made man it was intended they would “walk together.” God would provide all their needs and they in turn would worship and love Him.

The Fall ended that. Instead of the perfect life God designed for us, we got a life riddled with sin, AND we got separated from God. A holy God cannot indwell a sinful people.

That is what Jesus fixed and I believe, the real reason for our hope.

I have hope because I know that Jesus’ finished work on the cross allows me to approach the throne of God, to take every concern and request to God, who will hear my prayers, not because of me, but because of His Son and He will answer them. I have hope because I know God, the maker of heaven and earth, who holds in His hands all power and authority, loves me because I love His Son and put my faith, not in my abilities, but in Christ’s. I have hope because God put inside of me the Holy Spirit, the power that raised Christ from the dead, allowing me to live a victorious life and sealing me for all eternity as His. And I have hope because I know if I needed God to part the Red Sea for me, He would. He’s just like that.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment