Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Getting Up Early

Mark 1:35

Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.

Good morning Zebras,

I have gotten lazy and quit taking my own advice, or I should say I have quit taking God’s advice.

I have been a firm believer for years that it’s REALLY important to get up early in the morning and set your day before God, but lately because of my schedule, I have gotten rather lax. Since I don’t have a fixed schedule to keep now, I’d slipped into the REALLY bad habit of doing my quiet time after I got my family out the door.

I would never have done that when I was working because I knew if I didn’t get my quiet time in first thing in the morning there was a good possibility I wouldn’t get it in at all. But since I have time, I figured there was no reason for me to get up at 5:00 in the morning to spend time with God when I can just do it at 8:00 after they leave. That lets me have a whole extra hour of sleep. (Yippee!)

This morning God showed me my error. For some reason when I woke at 5:00, I didn’t roll over and go back to sleep like I have been doing, I got up and wandered downstairs to chat with God. And I then realized what I’d been missing.

There is something so special about having the first thoughts that go into your head be from God. It sets the tone for the whole day and it gives God a chance to speak to me before I get distracted.

How could I have forgotten how wonderful it is?

When I did a word search on “early in the morning” I found Abraham got up early in the morning to sacrifice Isaac, Moses got up early in the morning to confront Pharaoh, David got up early in the morning to go meet Goliath, Joshua and Gideon both got up early in the morning to lead the Israelites into battle, Job got up early in the morning to offer daily sacrifices for his children and according to Luke 21 all the people came early in the morning to hear him (Jesus teach) at the temple.

Isn’t that amazing!

Ben Franklin is quoted as saying: Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise. Now I don’t know about the healthy or wealthy part but if you get up early and seek God I know it will make you wise.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment