Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Be Still part 2

Psalm 46:10a

Be still, and know that I am God;

Good morning ladies,

This is the key verse for our retreat and one I have been meditating on as I prepare to speak.

When I started this I had no idea what it really meant to be “still.” I shared with you God first commanded me to be still nine years ago, but what I didn’t tell you was I wasn’t really sure what He wanted and I never bothered to find out. That was rather short-sighted.

To me the idea of being “still” involved not moving, a cessation of activity and that was something I had no intention of doing. Besides being scary, it really wasn’t very practical, I had a husband and two kids, not mention a whole boat load of obligations and I didn’t have time to just sit around being “still.”

Now I do and it has been a revelation to me that being still has more to do with the mind than with the body.

The world and all of its obligations does not go away just because we have been commanded to be “still.” And God knows that. He knows we have to work and provide for our family and He isn’t telling us to stop, just to slow down enough to learn to be “still”.

What does it actually mean to be “still”?

It means not worrying, it means not fretting, it means trusting that God is GOD and He has it all under control. It means learning we don’t have to try and control every aspect of our lives, it means letting go of our need to micromanage everyone and everything around us. It means getting out of the driver’s seat, climbing in the back and letting God drive WITHOUT our help.

And that takes work.

What it doesn’t mean is sitting around doing nothing.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment