Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Passion

Acts 22: 2b-3

Then Paul said: "I am a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but brought up in this city. Under Gamaliel I was thoroughly trained in the law of our fathers and was just as zealous for God as any of you are today.

Good morning ladies,

Last night at Bible study we discussed Paul. Our assignment had been to study Acts 20-28 to get a clear picture of this man who could write such amazing things, to try and understand his passion and dedication to the Lord.

What I saw as I reread these chapters is that Paul’s devotion to Jesus came not from knowledge but from his own personal experience with Christ. Twice in five chapters he shared his “road to Damascus” story.

Paul had a lot of knowledge. He was a trained Pharisee and because of that he knew a Messiah had been promised but he didn’t realize it was Jesus until he met him himself.

That was such an encouragement to me.

One of the things I struggle with is that I have no formal Bible training. I would love to have some type of degree attached to my name so that people would say “Oh Jill, she really knows her Bible, we should listen to her.” What God showed me last night is that I don’t need a degree I study my Bible and He has given me a story,

I have had a life, not as bad as some, but worse than many. A life that should have defeated me but it didn’t because God protected me. He watched over me and took care of me and when He chose to reveal Himself to me I became a new person, on fire for the Lord, and I couldn’t stop talking about Him.

Unfortunately it didn’t last. I had passion but no knowledge so when the trials came I fell, hard. I walked away from God for years.

And that became part of the story, passion alone is not enough.

The Bible says God is a god of second chances and I can testify to that. I can testify to His grace, His love, His mercy, His faithfulness, His power and His omnipotence. I can look back over my life and see the amazing healing power of God. I can speak passionately for hours about all that He has done for me and the journey He has taken me on but because of my own personal experience I am equally as passionate about the importance of studying your Bible.

Some people have passion and no knowledge; some people have knowledge and no passion.

It is my prayer to be like Paul and have both.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment