Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year's Resolution

Exodus 20:3

"You shall have no other gods before me.

Good morning ladies,

Welcome to the final day of 2009 and the last z-mail of the year.

Tomorrow many people are going to be making New Year’s resolutions, and many of those resolutions will involve dieting.

After a month of national gluttony we now repent and turn to the month of dieting.

If you think I am exaggerating look at the displays in the stores. Shelves that used to be covered with chocolate and goodies are now filled with Special K and weight loss bars. Costco has removed the Christmas decorations and replaced them with Nordic Trackers and treadmills. Even the book stores have dieting at front and center. The prime floor space is given over to The Flat Belly Diet, The Fat Flush Plan and Dieting for Dummies just to name a few.

This is a dangerous month for me.

I was put on my first diet when I was nine. I started taking diet pills when I was sixteen and they were legal. I have been on Adkins and Optifast. I have joined Weight Watchers and the Schick Center, which was a horribly humiliating experience involving wet Cheetos. I have counted calories, carbs and fat grams and still I am not thin.

But I want to be and Satan knows it.

God has promised to give me every good gift if I will only seek Him first and I believe Him, but oh those diet books look tempting. Yet every moment I spend reading and obsessing over diet books is one less minute I can obsess over God.

And God keeps reminding me “Seek ME first and I will set you free.”

If you are planning to embark on a new life style tomorrow or read a new book that promises to change your life, may I suggest that you resolve to read your Bible and to seek after God instead? Because I know that works.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment