Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, December 28, 2009

It is Finished

John 19:30

When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

Good afternoon ladies,

I hope all of you had a wonderful Christmas, I did.

My sister, Dawn and her son, Norm, have not talked to each other in fifteen years. Six months ago God allowed me to be part of a plan that ended in reconciliation on Christmas morning in front of Disneyland.

Last summer at a Zebra meeting Dawn shared that you didn’t have to do what a godly person tells you, unless God also tells you to. Everyone agreed. But what they didn’t know was she was referring to a conversation we had had about the fact that she had to forgive Norm and restore their relationship.

I immediately got angry because I knew what she was saying was not true. She didn’t need to forgive Norm because I said so, but because God said so. And He says so in His Word.

As I sat there trying to control myself, God convicted me of my part in this situation. Gary, my husband, had urged me to go see Norm many times over the years, but I never did. I knew going to see him would make Dawn angry and I didn’t want to make her angry so I didn’t go. I was as guilty as she was.

Two weeks later the kids and I went to see Norm.

That small act of obedience allowed God to start working.

On Christmas morning as I watched them embrace all I could think of was “it is finished.” I had done what God had asked of me and He had done the rest. Fifteen years of anger, strife and separation was finally over.

Jesus did not have to come to earth or die on the cross. I think we often forget that. And He did not come because He loved us. He came and died because He loved and obeyed His Father. His obedience, not His love, set us free.

I think we way underestimate the power of obedience, I know I did.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment