Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Make It Your Own

Acts 19:13-16

Some Jews who went around driving out evil spirits tried to invoke the name of the Lord Jesus over those who were demon-possessed. They would say, "In the name of Jesus, whom Paul preaches, I command you to come out."

Good morning ladies,

Paul could do amazing things, another revelation I had while reading Acts. The Bible says God did extraordinary miracles through Paul and even his handkerchiefs and aprons had the power to heal the sick and drive out demons.

Obviously others noticed. They decided that they too could drive out demons using the name of Jesus. The problem was they didn’t personally know Jesus, they just knew Paul.

Today’s verse is the beginning of very funny and yet sobering story.

One day while they were driving out evil spirits one of them turned and said "Jesus I know, and I know about Paul, but who are you?" I guess they didn’t have a good answer because the Bible says the evil spirit then jumped on them and beat them up.

One thing I love about my husband is he is TALL. I am not a petite person and I love the fact that when I stand next to him I feel small. But it somehow makes me feel taller too.

When Gary and I were first married I was saying something to my brother about how tall I was. He looked at me and reminded me that just because I had married a tall person didn’t mean I was tall. I didn’t grow when I married Gary.

That’s what this Bible story reminds me off. This Jewish priest knew Paul, he had probably seen Paul perform miracles and somehow he thought that he could do it to. But he couldn’t. Just because he knew someone who had amazing faith didn’t mean he did.

Each of us is responsible for developing our own faith based upon our relationship with Jesus. We can’t rely on the faith of others. Not our parents, not our spouses, not our friends. Not even the pastor of the church.

We don’t get more spiritual just standing next to a spiritual person. We get more spiritual as we develop our relationship with Christ.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment