Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, January 4, 2010

Jar of Clay

2 Corinthians 4:7 (NI V)

But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.

Good morning ladies,

This weekend Gary was relaxing and watching a little TV and I stopped to see what he was watching. It was a “documentary” about Susan Boyle.

After watching fifteen minutes of the show I figure I am the last person in the world to hear about her, but in case you don’t know who she is, she is the woman who went on “Britain’s Got Talent” and blew them away.

If you haven’t seen the clip on YouTube I highly recommend it. She is a 47 year unemployed overweight woman who has bad hair and a pretty unfashionable outfit. Coming on stage she doesn’t look like anything special in fact the audience is sort of laughing at her and then she sings.

And everything changes.

Susan Boyle is a jar of clay, nothing special on the outside but filled with an amazing talent.

We too are jars of clay. But what we have on the inside is not the ability to sing, but the power of God.

Every year our family makes new Christmas stockings. I don’t really know how the idea got started but it has evolved into a tradition that we all enjoy. We use felt and other craft supplies to decorate cheap red stockings. Each year we have to think about what we are going to put on our stocking.

At first we used to put Christmas symbols but now we put pictures of things that represent our year. For example my daughter Katherine, who turned sixteen this year, put her car and Nick made a small model of the Washington Monument to commemorate his 8th grade trip to D.C.

I put a variety of items on my stocking this year. I put a tea cup and saucer to represent the woman’s tea, the Proclaim logo from the fall Awana conference and an envelope with a zebra stripe since I spend so much time writing z-mails.

And because it is my greatest desire that God will use me even though I am a 52 year old, unemployed, overweight woman with intermittently bad hair who likes to wear clothes from a gas station...I put a clay jar.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment