Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Free Will part two

1 Corinthians 2:9

However, as it is written:
"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him" (NIV)

Good morning ladies,

Yesterday I told you we were going to have the reading of the Law, and we did. It went really well, the kids understood what I expected of them.

Unfortunately, although they had great intentions they didn’t make it.

So this morning I had to carry through with my threat. They had to get themselves up, fix their own breakfast and lunch and get ready for school all alone.

I thought about “showing them grace” and helping them even though I said I wouldn’t, but I didn’t. I was afraid that they were counting on me giving in so I wanted to hang tough and teach them a lesson

I think it taught me more.

First, good intentions are not obedience. John Wesley is credited with saying “The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.”

It does not matter what we intend to do, it matters what we do.

Second, God can always show mercy and prevent us from reaping the consequences of our actions, just like I could have gotten out of bed and helped my kids this morning, but we shouldn’t count on it. If we confess our sins we are always forgiven because 1 John 1:9 says If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

But forgiveness and consequences are two different things.

And finally, I like doing things for my kids. It brings me joy. I like helping them and making their lives a little easier.

And so does God.

He wants to help us and make our lives easier but He can’t because of our disobedience.

This month as we think about obedience, remember it is not a negative, but the gateway to blessings.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment