Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, January 25, 2010

Thankfulness Training

Colossians 3:15

Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.

Good morning ladies,

I have always loved the rain, even as a small child. Even though it caused tension in our house because my father couldn’t work, I was happy. I had a clear plastic umbrella with blue trim and when it would rain I would go outside, twirl my umbrella and splash in the puddles like I was Gene Kelly in Singing in the Rain.

Then I grew up and became a letter carrier.

Contrary to popular opinion, the post office does not have an official motto. Although from my personal experience I found “Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds" to be an accurate description of my job.

I delivered mail in 120F heat. It was so hot I jumped in people’s pools to cool off. And during Christmas time when it got dark early and the mail load was heavy, I delivered mail while holding a flashlight in my teeth. And I delivered in the rain.

It wasn’t as much fun working in it as it was singing in it.

But it was “thankfulness training” and it made me love the rain even more.

Now when it rains I am so incredibly thankful that God has provided a warm dry place for me to live.

When Nick was little he would open his eyes during bedtime prayer, peek over his folded hands and start thanking God for every piece of furniture and toy in the room. I would get irritated because he was taking so long, until God set me straight.

God calls us to be thankful people. He does not just call us to be thankful for the big things He gives us, but for everything He gives us.

And it is a challenge. But Nick with his childlike faith had it right.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment