Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Friday, January 15, 2010

Good Friends

Proverbs 27:17

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Good morning ladies,

Everyday I am more and more grateful for good friends.

Last week Joshua, my moodle, made a break for it again. The door wasn’t closed all the way and he seized the opportunity to take himself for walk. Fortunately his sister, Abigail, is a tattle-tale and Katherine was able to go catch him before he got too far.

This morning Joshua got trapped behind a door and I didn’t notice until Abigail started to whine.

Abigail and Joshua are kindred spirits. (okay, kindred dogs) They watch out for each other. They are always aware of each others’ presence. And Abigail who is aware of Joshua’s weakness for roaming is always on alert.

To me that is the picture of a true friend, someone who will sound the alarm when you are off-track.

I know from experience it’s easier just to tell people what they want to hear than it is to tell them the truth. But white lies and platitudes don’t help people grow. God’s word does. And Christian friends who will pray for you and speak truth in love do too.

I remember the first time I got in an argument with my friend Janet. To me our friendship was over, but not to her. I can’t remember exactly what she said, but it was something to the effect of, “If our friendship can’t stand up to the truth, it isn’t much of a friendship.” That was a novel concept for me.

I love Janet. She has been a friend for years. She has prayed for me and helped me grow. Sometimes I think she has a clearer vision of God’s plans for me than I do, but she also knows I am prone to wander.

I called her earlier to talk about retreat and as I was hanging up I told her I didn’t think that I was going to write a z-mail today. I was pretty sure God was giving me the day off.

Five minutes later I was typing and I am sure that this is her fault. I think she told God.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment