Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, January 11, 2010

Kindred Spirits

Philippians 2:20

For I have no one else of kindred spirit who will genuinely be concerned for your welfare.

Good morning ladies,

As I prepare for this week’s Bible study on Philippians this phrase keeps jumping out at me. Paul is writing to the Philippians from his prison cell to thank them for their support and to give them an update on his condition.

In verse 19 he tells them, I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you shortly, so that I also may be encouraged when I learn of your condition. But it is the way he describes Timothy in verse twenty that I find so intriguing, a kindred spirit.

What does it mean to be kindred spirits? The Complete Word Study Dictionary defines kindred as: To be activated by the same motives, of like character.

I guess what I find interesting is that Paul had a lot of people who worked beside him, but only Timothy was described as a kindred spirit.

I have been spending a lot of time reading John 15. Jesus uses the word “abide” ten times in the first eleven verses. Three times is verse four alone Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me.


The same dictionary defines abide as: remaining united with someone in heart, mind and will. Sort of like kindred spirits.

As I was thinking all of this over and thinking how blessed I am to have so many kindred spirits as friends God spoke.

It’s nice that you have friends that are like minded, He said “I gave them to you for your encouragement. But what matters most is are you and I like minded. Are you My kindred spirit?”

Jesus has a lot of people who work for Him and with Him. I wonder how many He would call kindred spirits.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment