Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Fear

Romans 8:31

What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? (NIV)

Good morning ladies,

It is skiing season again.

I used to ski. I learned when I was a freshman at Cal State San Bernardino. PE was required for freshman and skiing was offered, so I took it. Cal State is only about forty-five minutes from Wrightwood so every week we would go there and ski.

The first time we went up the” big slope” the instructor told me I was so terrible that I would never learn to ski and he promptly skied off and left me up there to figure out how to get down, which I did.

I think I learned how to ski just to spite him, I was never really good, just average, but I loved it.

My friend Ellen and I decided to take a trip to Mammoth, I don’t remember why, but I was so excited to finally ski a “real” mountain, until I got there.

I took one look at that mountain and was consumed with fear. I was so afraid that I pretended to have the flu so I didn’t have to go skiing.

I haven’t skied in years. Jumping out of a postal jeep ruined my knees. And even if I wanted to I couldn’t ski Mammoth now. It was a missed opportunity, one that I regret.

Moses, at God’s command sent twelve spies into the Promised Land. Their job was to explore the land that was promised to them by God and return with a report.

Numbers 13:30-31
Then Caleb silenced the people before Moses and said, "We should go up and take possession of the land, for we can certainly do it." But the men who had gone up with him said, "We can't attack those people; they are stronger than we are."

Joshua and Caleb, two men who believed God, and ten Biblical scaredy-cats.

Unfortunately the scaredy-cats convinced the Israelites not to go and God’s anger burned against them. The ten spies were struck dead with a plague and the Israelites were forced to wander in the desert for forty years until everyone who was twenty years and older died. No one who refused to obey God was allowed to enter the Promised Land.

Fear can be a good thing. It keeps us from doing things that could cause us harm. But when it keeps us from doing what God has asked of us it is a sin.

FDR said “The Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself” I think a more accurate statement should be “The Only Thing We Have to Fear is God.”

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment