Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Friday, February 3, 2017

Disciple or ?

Good morning Zebras,

“With the exception of the Bible, no book has had as profound an effect on my life as “My Utmost for His Highest.” - Charles Stanley.

I couldn’t agree more.

I’ve been reading Oswald Chambers for at least thirteen years, maybe longer.  In the early years, I didn’t understand half the entries but I persevered.  It is a good journal and marker of growth because I make notes on the pages and then reread them on the exact same day every year. 

Thursday was the first time, I can remember, that I disagreed with what he wrote.

The thing you need to know about this book is Oswald didn’t write it, he preached it and after his death his wife gathered up his sermons and made them into a book.  I say that because yesterday’s entry was preached to a group of students that were pursuing ministry at The Bible Training College where he taught, so the focus was the call God places on people to preach the gospel.

“Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel.” 1 Corinthians 9:16

His point was that the call to preach the Gospel is different than the call of salvation, which is true.  When God places the call to preach on you it becomes a burning desire that must be answered.  What I disagreed with was this:

“Our Lord never requires the same conditions for discipleship that He requires for salvation… discipleship has an option with it-‘If anyone’

Luke 14:25–27, 33 Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them He said: “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple.  And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple…In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.

Maybe it’s just semantics, maybe he’s using the words differently than we do now or maybe I’m missing something.  But I do not see salvation as an experience separate from discipleship.  Salvation is the beginning, discipleship is the outcome.  And even though Jesus says “If” I’m not sure refusing to be a disciple after salvation is an option. 

What are you if you aren’t a disciple?

I do not see Jesus saying: “Oh, you want to have salvation and not really follow Me?  That’s fine, I’m totally good with that.  I’ll just save you and not require anything.  I have a two-tier system consisting of disciples and the merely saved.  You go back to doing whatever it is you were doing and I’ll catch you later in heaven.”

Salvation is easy it comes from God, discipleship takes work but the power and the desire comes from God as well and it’s our job to work out our salvation with “fear and trembling” with the power and  direction of the Holy Spirit.

Romans 8:11–14 And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you. Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation—but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it. For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.

And I know Oswald Chambers agrees with that.

Love,
Jill

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this Jill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome. Thanks for leaving a comment. Praying this will be a wonderful new watering hole for the herd. Hard to be honest and transparent when the side bars are telling me Sally Fields is dead and Robery Redford is engaged to Meryl Streep. :)

      February 3, 2017 at 4:22 PM

      Delete