Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Choose Wisely

Thank you to everyone who said a prayer for Nick I will certainly keep you updated. 

This was originally posted in October of 2010 but it is a lesson I have not forgotten. As we grow in our faith God will often leave two doors open and trust us to pray and pick the right one.


Jonah 1:2 But Jonah ran away from the LORD and headed for Tarshish.  He went down to Joppa, where he found a ship bound for that port. After paying the fare, he went aboard and sailed for Tarshish to flee from the LORD.

Good morning Zebras,

There are a lot of lessons in the book of Jonah, but I think my current favorite is: Just because the ship is at the dock doesn’t mean you should get on it.

We all know the story. God told Jonah to go to Nineveh to tell them to repent but Jonah didn’t want to go. He had his reasons. The footnote in my Bible says:Nineveh was a powerful and wicked city. Jonah had grown up hating the Assyrians and fearing their atrocities. His hatred was so strong that he didn’t want them to receive God’s mercy.

So Jonah ran. I can just see him running to Joppa, praying all the way.  Maybe he was praying as I do when I don’t want to do something.  “Dear Lord I know you told me to go to Nineveh, but maybe I heard You wrong. If You really want me to go, close the door to my escape and don’t provide a ship.  Then I will KNOW You want me to go to Nineveh”

I can just imagine his relief when he saw that ship!  “Yeah, I don’t have to go!  God provided a ship and I can sail in the other direction!”

We all know the rest of the story.  God really did want Jonah to go to Nineveh so He provided a storm, a big fish and a little readjustment to Jonah’s attitude.

In life we are all faced with choices.  One looks hard and one looks easy.  One is the way God wants us to go and one is the way that makes sense.  Following God and obeying His commands does not appear to make sense.  It does not appear logical to the world and sometimes it doesn’t even appear logical to other Christians. 


That’s why we have to rely on God.  James writes: But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind.

Often times as Christians we pray for open and closed doors, clear signs of God’s purpose for our life, and that’s good, but I think it is even a greater test of our faith if He leaves both doors open and trusts us to pick the right one.

Love,
Jill

3 comments:

  1. Well that is certainly something to pray and meditate on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't mean I'm right-but have often asked god to confirm something when I really want to get out of it! When I was out walking on Sunday it started to rain and I was at the point where it was just as easy to go home and get dry as it was to keep walking. Felt like God said "sometimes the best decision is to walk into the rain." Reminded me of that Casting Crowns song:It's still Raining. All this started because I am prayng God will give Nick the privledge of two open dooors and the wisdom to pick the right one, he is struggling with not being influenced by the money-but I know Ashley choose God over money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting note: As I thought about this post this morning I went and looked up prayers for "open doors." They seem to be related to prayers involving ministry. Pray God will open doors where we can go and preach the Gospel. Now that is a door worth praying for.

    ReplyDelete