Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, February 9, 2017

Jars of Clay

Good morning Zebras,

Yesterday as I finished up writing the post my prayer became “Dear Lord, please let all of us see the possibility for true transformation that lives inside of us because of your indwelling Spirit.” Which brought to mind this verse:

2 Corinthians 4:7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.

The best visual of what it looks like to be a pot of clay is Susan Boyle.  She was a 47 year unemployed overweight woman who has bad hair and a pretty unfashionable outfit. Coming on stage she doesn’t look like anything special in fact the audience is sort of laughing at her and then she sings. And everything changes because Susan Boyle is a jar of clay, nothing special on the outside but filled with an amazing talent. 

We too are jars of clay. But what we have on the inside is not the ability to sing, but the power of God.  God’s people are full of words, when they should be filled with the Holy Spirit because when He speaks things change. 

Love,
Jill

P.S.  I still watch her audition from time to time.  My new favorite part is when she is asked why her dream hasn’t worked out so far and she replies: “Because I’ve never been given the chance before, here’s hoping that will change.” It reminds me to never give up hope on the promises of God. 





3 comments:

  1. That is beautiful. I too have been fascinated by her story and even looked her up recently! I want to believe God and I want to believe you and all the helpful devotions I have read, but the day in and day out, having a cold and a tooth on my right side is bothering me after months of dealing with 3 teeth on the left. I feel drained and fear people only see a grump not a light of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe God-battling through does not dim the light-it shows perseverance. Following God isn't about pretending to be "happy" it is about knowing God is there even when you're not. God has gifted you with transparency which is wonderful!!! Many people struggle to be as real and open as God has made you. I love you my friend and the light shines through your honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jill. I wanted to come back and say I am still feeling under the weather (and with a leaky building it is figurative and literal!!!) I have been so blessed today with the kindest, most charming patrons. It points to having struggles, too many to bear, but God letting you know he's holding you up and providing his strength with every breath. He has always, always provided. I think you may have been praying for me, Jill.

    ReplyDelete