Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, March 16, 2017

Good morning Zebras,

Yesterday we chatted about suffering allowed by God to perfect our faith.  Today we’ll tackle the suffering we cause ourselves.  I had a long lovely z-mail written with lots of wonderful backup verses, but it really came down to this:

Paul, like Jesus, suffered for obeying God.  Jonah suffered because he didn’t.

Paul wrote three-quarters of the New Testament and has inspired millions of people who live for Jesus.  Paul has lots of “fans” and people who are looking forward to seeing him in heaven.  Jonah was used to save Nineveh, but he’s also the perfect example of “what not to do when God calls.”  I’m not sure what his “fan base” looks like…
Paul wrote this in the last days of his life:

2 Timothy 4:6–8: “For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure.  I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.”

Who knows what Jonah wrote because the last time we saw him he was sitting under a dead tree, angry and wanting to die.

Jonah 4:8:  When the sun rose, God provided a scorching east wind, and the sun blazed on Jonah’s head so that he grew faint. He wanted to die, and said, “It would be better for me to die than to live.”

Some suffering, like we talked about yesterday, comes to everyone and it’s how we handle it that matters, but some suffering we cause ourselves.  Like Jonah, the Israelites caused their own troubles when they refused to go into the Promised Land.  (They probably complained for forty years about how harsh God was.)

And some suffering comes from following Jesus, but it isn’t from God it is from men. Paul 
again: 

2 Timothy 4:16–18   At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them.  But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was delivered from the lion’s mouth.  The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Fortunately, it’s our choice.  Do we want to suffer as an Israelite, doomed to lap the same stupid desert until we die, or as a disciple of Jesus Christ filled with the power and the presence of the Holy Spirit, boldly going where no man has gone before?

Love,

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment