Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, March 13, 2017

Good morning Zebras,

Maybe my new purpose in life is just to get you to read “My Utmost for His Highest,” because yesterday’s entry was great too! 

It talks about the surrender to God based on our desire to get something vs. our desire to surrender to God because He is God.

“We have become so self-centered that we go to God only for something from Him, and not for God Himself.  It is like saying, “No, Lord, I don’t want you; I want myself.  But I do want You to clean me and fill me with Your Holy Spirit.  I want to be on display in Your showcase so I can say, “This is what God has done for me.”

I find it interesting that Oswald talks about going to God for holiness and deliverance of sin in the same way we now talk about going to God for money or material possessions.  Isn’t it interesting how times have changed in one hundred years?  Yet neither one is the right reason to develop a relationship with God.’

You wouldn’t like it if the only reason someone wanted to be around you was to get something from you.  We want people to be around us because they love us and enjoy our company.  The same is true of God.

Maybe it’s because we no longer have the sacrifice system that we think about going to God only to “get” instead of “give.”  He is after all God, what could He possibly need?  Or maybe it is because we have turned Jesus into a holy version of Santa Claus, a place to go to get our wishes granted, that we struggle with the idea of bringing something with us.

I don’t know, but I do know until God’s people put God back on His throne, His church is going to suffer. One of my life-changing quotes from the first Tozer book I read: “What Happened to Worship?”

“…I believe the very last thing God desires is to have shallow-minded, worldly Christians bragging about Him,” (in the margin of the book I wrote “Ouch!”)  He continues, “…it does not seem to be very well recognized that God’s highest desire is that every one of His believing children should so love and so adore Him that we are continuously in His presence, in Spirit and in truth.” (Amen)

God doesn’t “need” anything but He deserves everything, including our gratitude and worship for having given us eternal life.  

Hebrews 12:28 Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe,

Love,

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment