Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Good morning Zebras,

If you didn’t read yesterday’s post, go back and read it before you continue.

Yesterday’s post originally contained this:

God doesn’t “need” anything but He deserves everything.  And even if He never gave us another thing He has already given us more than we deserve when He rescued us from hell.
It felt right on Sunday afternoon when God wrote it but it felt a little “harsh” in the cold light of Monday morning.  I wouldn’t have wanted to get up and read it, so God had me go back and soften it just a little to this:

God doesn’t “need” anything but He deserves everything, including our gratitude and worship for having given us eternal life.  

Which Illustrates so many wonderful things about God that I don’t have time to go into because what He wants me to talk about is Psalm 51:15-17, a verse that got cut from yesterday’s post. 

Psalm 51:15–17: “O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise.  You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.  The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.”

Can you see how encouraging those verses are?

God does not want us to busy ourselves trying to “do things for Him,” nor does He want us making big sacrifices just to prove how much we love Him.  What He wants is our broken and contrite heart. He wants us to quit thinking so highly of ourselves and start thinking more highly of Him.  He wants us to realize we are dust.

My husband once said to me, “You don’t realize how bad you are.”  And he was so right!  I didn’t!  I probably still don’t but I’m closer.

Job 42:5–6 My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you.  Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes.”

Giving up your “self-esteem,” your need to “prove yourself” and your desire to always be right is so freeing!

You’re a mist that’s here today and gone tomorrow (James 4:14,) everything you do without the Spirit of God is dirty rags; wood, hay, and stubble; or at best incomplete (Isaiah 64:4, 1 Cor 3:12, Rev 3:2) and God is the only one who is always right. I’m not thinking this one needs a backup verse.

But on the flip side, when you really understand that you are nothing, God gives you everything including a sense of self-worth unrelated to the world and its values.

Oh, if all of us would only have eyes to see that truth and remember it, because it’s a truth that will set us free to just abandon ourselves to the task of loving God, from which every other action will flow.

Love,

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment