Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Friday, March 31, 2017

Good morning Zebras,

I love you!  Tuesday, I got to spend some time with two zebra sisters, you have them and God to thank for the next two posts, hopefully you will find them as encouraging as I did.

Kathy is reading the book, “Boys in the Boat,” and she was telling us how many God analogies can be seen in the sport of rowing.  How everyone in the boat needs to be rowing together for them to succeed.  Then she said she had heard “fellowship” defined as “everyone being in the same boat.”

I had never heard that definition before and it was like a light went off in my head.

If true fellowship happens when everyone involved is in the same boat rowing in the same direction I can see why we struggle to find it.

First, everyone in the boat should have a saving faith in Jesus Christ and then they all must want to row in the same direction. 

I have one goal in life, to please Jesus Christ, and I find I have wonderful encouraging fellowship with others who share that goal.  I also find I can have fellowship, although on a much lower level, when we are all gathered for a specific ministry or event because the event or ministry become the unifying force.  I can even “fellowship” with nonbelievers by focusing on what we have in common. 

But if everyone in the boat has different goals and concerns, even if we all having a saving faith, we are out of “synch.” Everyone is “rowing as they see fit” and the resulting fellowship can be stressful, especially when it isn’t obvious you don’t share the same goal until they turn and hit you with their oar. :)

If one person goes to fellowship to pursue God, another to make friends, and a third to have a few laughs and forget their troubles for the night, the resulting fellowship is going to be a bit choppy. 

I love you Zebras I’m glad I have you to “row “ with.
Jill


No comments:

Post a Comment