Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Good morning Zebras,

I love you.

Yesterday I was reading my Essentials of Exercise Science and I came across this: “The focus of fitness professionals into the foreseeable future will likely be on strategies to get people to start exercising and to keep exercising regularly.”

And I thought, “What is the best way to encourage someone to start something new?”
Personally, I think it is to start it yourself and then when others take notice encourage them to join in, a strategy which applies to our faith as well.

If you lose weight or gain muscle people notice and ask you what you have done.  In the same way if you allow the presence of the Holy Spirit to change you, to make you kinder, more loving, less frustrated and stressed and more at peace, people may notice and ask.

It is funny how quickly we have an answer for weight loss or muscle gain, how happy we are to tell others about our new “wonder” diet or the exercise program we started but we should be just as happy and excited about telling them about Jesus.

Forty years ago, not long after my salvation, God set me free from my obsession with food.  I was so happy!  For over twenty years food and I had been on bad terms, either it was winning or I was, there had never been a time of truce.

I still clearly remember the moment I gave the credit for what I knew to be a miracle to something else.

My boss came to ask me how I was losing weight and I joyfully told her about Jesus setting me free.  But that wasn’t the answer she was looking for, so she kept pushing.  Eventually, she got me to confess to exercising more and limiting my calorie intact.   That was what she wanted to hear, a practical, rational explanation which allowed her to dismiss everything I had said about God.

In my exercise journal, every day I write two things: “Being able to do this is God’s gift to me.” and “Every day is an exciting opportunity to exercise the power, love and self-control You have placed within me.”  Truths found in the following verses:

Philippians 4:13:  I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

2 Timothy 1:7:  For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

God can do all things through and for those who believe, but I wholeheartedly believe He doesn’t want His glory given to the vehicles or men He uses.

Isaiah 42:8:  I am the Lord; that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols.

1 Corinthians 3:5–7:  What then is Apollos?  What is Paul?  Servants through whom you believed, as the Lord assigned to each.  I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth.

The old hymn “To God Be the Gory!” says it all.    

This video is well worth three minutes of your time.

Love,

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment