Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Good morning Zebras,

I love you.  Hopefully you read the Oswalds I suggested, they were great.

There was so much in them but the point I want to highlight is that If people only see us, then we can be a hindrance in leading people to the Lord.

When I was still working, a fellow teacher said to me they’d seen a bumper sticker that reminded them of me.  It said, “Jesus loves everyone, but He likes me best.”  She didn’t mean it as an insult, she just felt Jesus liked me better than He liked other people.  Obviously not true.

And when I was taking over a position at my church the person resigning said it would be better for me to be running it anyway because God seemed to bless the things I did more than He blessed her efforts.  Which made me sad.

I thought of both of those things as I read this yesterday. 

“If my holiness is not drawing others to Him, it is not the right kind of holiness; it is only an influence which awakens undue emotions and evil desires in people and diverts them from heading in the right direction.”

There’s nothing special about any of us, and we need to be very careful when we are sharing the blessings God has given us because instead of pointing people to Jesus they can cause others to stumble with jealously and envy.

Under a lovely section of Scripture, Romans 12:9-21, labeled as “Marks of a True Christian” you will find this:

Romans 12:15: “Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.”

Being able to rejoice when God blesses another person without envy and jealously is as important as being able to share in their sadness.  But not everyone can do it, so we have a responsibility not to share our “happy news” when we know it is going to cause a brother or sister to stumble.

1 Corinthians 10:31–11:1:  “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.  Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God—  even as I try to please everybody in every way.  For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.  Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.”

Everything we do and say needs to pass through the filter of “Will this bring this person closer to Jesus Christ?”  If it won’t, even if it’s something wonderful, keep it to yourself.

Love,

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment