Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Saturday, March 4, 2017

Good morning Zebras,

I love you so much and the day I’ve been waiting for has arrived.

Yesterday, on Facebook, only four people liked the post.  (Thank you, Nancy, for sharing it and confirming it was an “awesome word” from God.)

Contrast that with the over thirty people who “liked” the picture of my dog.

That is the perfect illustration of how we have ended up with teaching that tickles our ears.  It’s partly our fault.  Light and fluffy is what makes us hit the “like” button.

People respond to positive encouragement and if they are getting their encouragement from people they are either going to do what people want or get discouraged when they don’t. Which is all bad when we are talking about ministry.

But if the people doing ministry have finally freed themselves of the trap of being “liked” and are getting their encouragement from God, they’re going to joyfully keep going until God tells them to stop.

I have done both and can tell you without a shadow of doubt the second way is way better!

Ten years ago, I was facilitating a Precepts Bible Study.  Precepts takes a lot of work but most of the people who signed up didn’t know that, they signed up because they heard me speak at a tea and thought I was funny.

Thirty plus people started, twenty people soon dropped.  It was hard on me, because even though I was doing what I knew God wanted me to do, I still wanted people to “like” me and come.

I remember painfully asking my friend Karen, “When can I stop doing this?”  And she said, “When absolutely no one shows up and God tells you to stop.”
That was the beginning of learning to work for God instead of for people.  Yesterday was my final exam and I passed.  In the past being “liked” by only four of you would have crushed me, but it didn’t!

I love all of you and I will continue to do this, whether you “like” it or not until God tells me to stop.

Have a wonderful, wonderful Saturday little Zebras living free from sin, guilt, and the desire to please men.

Love,

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment