Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Friday, March 24, 2017

Good morning Zebras,

I love you!  God has been using the weirdest things to teach me about the importance of worshipping in Spirit and Truth. 

John 4:20–23: “Our fathers worshipped on this mountain, but you Jews claim that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem.”  Jesus declared, “Believe me, woman, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem.  You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews.  Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks.”

Notice what she thought was important, where they worshipped.  Notice what Jesus thought was important, WHO they worshipped.

“The point in Jesus’ words is that the specific place of the worship is a secondary question, whereas the true worship itself is the essential.” The Interpretation of St. John’s Gospel (p. 319)

Isn’t it funny then how much time we spend talking about our church and our ministries instead of the reason they exist?

Knowing what you do or where you go to worship isn’t going to save anyone, knowing about Jesus might.  And although it might be more comfortable saying “My pastor said...” it does not carry the same weight as saying, “God’s Word says…”

Plus, sadly, church buildings label us and divide God’s people into little groups. When you tell someone where you go to church that is what they focus on. And ministries within churches, done without the Spirit, can divided us even further.

1 Corinthians 1:11–13: “My brothers, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you.  What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas”; still another, “I follow Christ.”  Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul?”

1 Corinthians 3:4–7: “For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not mere men?  What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task.  I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.”

Of all the divisions is the world, the ones within the Church must grieve Jesus most.

John 17:20–21: “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in Me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in Me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that You have sent Me.”

I don’t think the question is, “Where do you go to church?” I think it is, “Do you daily worship God in Spirit and in Truth?” Because that is what will unite us into a people who loves, honors, and serves the Lord Jesus Christ.

Love,

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment