Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, November 16, 2017

Good morning Zebras,

I have Gary’s permission to write this.

Gary likes to watch TV. He finds it relaxing after a hard day at work.  And I like Gary, so I sit and watch TV with him.  Gary also likes to eat dinner in front of the TV, something we rarely did when the kids were home.  But again, Gary finds it relaxing and I love Gary, so I started eating my dinner in front of the TV too.

But from the start I knew it was something I shouldn’t be doing because what is a relaxing activity to Gary, is something that quenches the Spirit in me.

For years, before I was saved I would sit in front of the TV and eat to calm my nerves.  It started when I was young, but it got worse as I got older.  Binge eating and TV watching got me through many a crisis.  

But they are both part of my “Old Man,” something that God set me free from and something that needs to be kept off because they pale in comparison to knowing God. 

Philippians 3:7 But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord

Gary is a great guy and he gets “talked at” all day so when he gets homes he just wants to be “lazy.” But his desire to be lazy, to turn off his brain and stay up too late watching TV, was impacting both of our lives.

His because he would be too tired to get up in the morning and do his quiet time before work, and mine because I was giving in to old sinful habits to keep him company. 

One reason we all need to take the sins in our life seriously is because they affect everyone around us.  Just like leaving poo in the yard puts everyone who visits at risk of getting it on their shoe.

Luke 17:1 And he said to his disciples, “Temptations to sin are sure to come, but woe to the one through whom they come!”

Gary and I are a team which means we need to tighten up our game and start working together more effectively if we want to run together for God. 

Love,
Jill

P.S. Since we are both committed to changing these behaviors we have moved the family room furniture into the garage.  Matthew 5:30 “And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.”  Not because I think our TV watching was sending us to hell, but because our house needs to be a safe place, a place to grow in the knowledge of God, which means, for right now, the comfy furniture needs to go.  Love, Jill


No comments:

Post a Comment