Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Good morning Zebras,

Twenty-six years ago, when Gary and I got married he asked me to stay home with the kids.  I had just gotten my teaching credential, something I had wanted since I was eight, so at first, I said “No.”  But after two years teaching I could see it would be better for the kids if I did.  So, when Katherine came along, I quit.

Twelve years later, when I had finally gotten into the swing of being a “housewife,” (it was a hard and painful transition.)  God said go back to work.  Originally, I said, “No, who will take care of the kids?”  And He said, “I will, you follow me.”  So, with fear and trepidation, I went back to work.

Three years later God told me to leave teaching and go do ministry.  I said “Yes.”  But Gary said “No.”  It was one of the longest years of my life teaching that fourth year, waiting for God to confirm to Gary what He had already told me.  But I waited because going against Gary was not an option.

Sacrifice means you do the hard stuff for God in a way that honors Him.

People often tell me they hate their jobs and they want to quit to serve God, expecting me to agree, but unless God tells you to quit your job, you need to stay.  Staying at a bad job is one-way God teaches us to die to self.

Only a child thinks sacrifices are made up from the things you don’t like to do.

When Nick was little, one of the questions on his Bible lesson was “What are you willing to sacrifice to God?”  Nick wrote “Vegetables.”  I said, “No.”

Sacrifice means you honor God by giving up the things getting in the way of your relationship with Him, not the things you wanted to quit doing anyway.

I love you Zebras, but we live in a culture that teaches us to “Treat ourselves well, after all we deserve it.”  But that’s not a teaching I can find in the Bible.  And God’s people are miserable because they are being taken in.  They are listening to what they think they want to hear and throwing out the truth.

The truth is, dying to self and living for Christ is the best thing you can EVER do for yourself-I promise.

Love,

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment