Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Something to Think About

Philippians 4:12-13

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

Good morning ladies,

Last night at Bible study we had a good conversation. We were discussing the fourth chapter of Philippians.

In it Paul tells the Philippians how to act and how to think. And thanks them for the support they have sent him.

This book has be an incredible challenge to me. It has been difficult to translate Paul’s experiences into the present. What we believe is so shaped by our culture and what we have been taught.

For example, Americans have so much. Even if we have less than our neighbors we live in plenty. Our streets aren’t filled with people starving, at least not where I live. What do I know about living in want? Nothing.

And last week when our discussion was centered on suffering, someone shared that they believed we were not called to suffer like Paul. I don’t know if that is true or not.

I do know that we are all called to suffer for the gospel. But since suffering is not fun and we have the choice, we unconsciously choose not to suffer.

Maybe it is just me but I could think of ways to increase my suffering for Christ. I could start by giving more to missions and skipping a meal or two, or maybe being bold about sharing the gospel with my neighbors.

Or even scarier I could ask Christ for the privilege of suffering for His name. But honestly I don’t want to.

The Biblical view of suffering is that it is an honor. The apostles rejoiced because they were worthy of suffering for Christ. The apostles left the Sanhedrin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name. And Paul told the Philippians that they were granted not only faith but suffering, as if it was something good.

That goes against everything I feel.

The truth is I like my cushy lifestyle. I really don’t want to change. I really don’t want to know what God’s Word says because then I feel convicted. I like being fat dumb and happy. I like keeping God in a box.

How about you?


Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment