Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, October 12, 2009

Contentment

Philippians 4:11-13

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

Good morning ladies,

Someone told me Saturday that the women who suffer the least from depression are married women with children who work part time. (They are probably thin with good hair too.)

Basically those women who have it all are content and happy.

But most of us don’t have it all. I have worked full time, I have stayed home full time, I have worked part-time, and I was single for a long time and now I am married with children. In each of those phases there were times when I was happy and content and there were times when I was not.

The Bible says the true secret to contentment lies not in our circumstance but in our attitude and focus.

If we focus on the world we are content when things our going our way. But if we focus on Christ and His power we can be content in all circumstances knowing God is in control.

Right before writing this I read the prayer requests from our church. A dear friend’s brother is dying from cancer and two children lost their only parent in a car accident. Those people aren’t happy. But can they be content?

When I lost my brother I wasn’t happy or content, in fact I was done with God. I walked away from God and stayed away for years. Those were unhappy years.

This weekend I met a woman who had recently lost her sister. She was sad, she missed her sister, but she was content. She knew she would see her again someday. She knew her sister was in heaven right now with Jesus and she was happy for her. She knew, really knew, that God was in control, that heaven existed and everything would eventually be okay.

It was obvious she knew the secret.

Love,
Jill


Hi ladies,

Sorry to bother you again, but one thing that I really feel God has been challenging me on is to make sure that the scriptures I use are taking in context, so I felt I needed to clarify this morning z-mail.

That verse in Philippians was written by Paul to thank the church at Philippi for sending him finanical aid. Philippians is considered Paul’s “book of joy” which is amazing considering he wrote it from a Roman prison cell. And he really speaks to being joyful in all situations.

That is what I intended to write about, being joyful in your current circumstances, and then I read the prayer requests from the church, and my heart broke for Sue and those two girls.

Material concerns just seem to pale when compared against losing someone you love. God, how can they be content?

I felt like God said, the answer is the same put your hope in ME, but that was not the context of the verse.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment