Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Friday, October 30, 2009

Glory of God

1 Corinthians 10:31

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

Good morning ladies,

I am headed off to school today to substitute for a friend. Since it is the day before Halloween she asked me if I would do it since the kids are going to be crazy and she knew I could control them.

Now I know not all the schools celebrate Halloween anymore, but this one does, so I am going as a zebra.

When I first wandered back to my faith, I had some people tell me I should not celebrate Halloween, that it was Satan’s holiday. Of course that upset me, since Halloween was one of my good childhood memories, so I started asking around to see what other Christians believed.

My favorite advice came from my friend Janet. She grew up in Bakersfield and one of the biggest fund raisers for the youth group at her church was the haunted house they had at Halloween.

She told me, that everyday in her house belongs to the LORD; Satan does not get a holiday, no matter what she is doing.

I liked that.

Therefore I always let my kids celebrate Halloween, but they were never allowed to be anything dark or scary. In fact I used to pray about their costumes.

And when I was teaching I had the same restrictions for the kids in my class, nothing dark or scary and no characters from “R” rated movies, because it was my classroom and I had control of what went on in there. Eventually it became school policy.

I don’t think the question is really do you celebrate Halloween or not, I think the real question is, do you honor God in everything that you do?

Have a wonderful day!

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment