Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Why Do You Obey?

John 14:15
"If you love me, you will obey what I command."

Good morning ladies,

If you asked me what the Old Testament was about I would say obedience, the big “O”.

If you asked me what the New Testament was about I would say love. “For God so loved the world….”

For me, this verse ties the two together.

I once asked my class: “Do you obey your parents because you love them or because you fear them?”

Most of the kids said they obey out of fear. A few said they didn’t obey at all.

Now as a parent I can tell you that either way works. My children can obey me because they love me or they can obey me because they fear me, but I expect them to obey.

Of course I want my children to obey me because they love me; it shows that we have a healthy relationship. They know that I love them and because of that they want to please me therefore they obey.

But I also have the power and I will use it if necessary.

The same is true of God.

He loves us and He wants us to obey Him because we love Him, it shows we have a healthy relationship, but He still has the power.

I think Christians often struggle with their view of God. They think of God as either a giant teddy bear who would never discipline them or as an angry entity waiting to strike them dead.

He is neither. He is God, and He wants us to obey.

Love,

Jill

1 comment:

  1. Oh NO, you said "O". Jill, it's so difficult to follow the God of the universe's word ALL the time, so I SIN. God to me is like a dad. He punishes, rebukes, compliments, and loves. I am so glad my Father in Heaven is my dad. No matter what I do, I can always count on His love to come back to.

    Imagine, never diciplining the students in your classroom. Can you see it now? Disarray and complete disaster. God is faithful and just to forgive, but don't forget (Jen) that HE is also ready to let you sin and make that fool of yourself then come back to chastise.

    Let the God of our Universe map out your life and then your life will follow His path.

    Also, hearing you speak yesterday at AWANA was what I needed to hear, how I needed it, and when I needed it. I believe that God said, "Jen, this is where I want you to be."

    Thank you for your time and effort to teach someone as lame as I!

    Love you Jill, Jen

    ReplyDelete