Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Be Still

Psalm 46:10a (NIV)

"Be still, and know that I am God;


Psalm 46:10a (NASB)

"Cease striving and know that I am God;

Good morning ladies,

I am very excited about the women’s retreat, not only because we get to spend a beautiful weekend together at Mt. Hermon, but because I get the privilege of thinking and pondering on our topic for the next three months.

Being still is something I have been working on since Nick was 6. I was a Stepping Stones’ teacher in Vallejo and I couldn’t figure out how to make my schedule work with Nick’s school schedule. Up until that point it had worked fine, I would drop Katherine off at school and then Nick and I would go to Stepping Stones together, but since kindergarten started later that wasn’t going to work.

One day as I was driving down Hastings praying about what I was supposed to do, well maybe negotiating would be a better word, because I knew God wanted me to quit, but I wasn’t sure I wanted to. I liked being a teacher and I didn’t know what I would do with all my free time. He brought this verse to mind. “What you will do,” He said, “is be still and know I am God.”

I quit. That was nine years ago.

Being still does not come naturally to me, but it is worth the effort.

My moodles follow me around all day. They patiently wait for me to stop moving so that they can jump up on my lap, They know that I will give them very little attention when I am on the move, but if I am sitting reading my Bible or taking a nap they can cuddle up next to me and get love.

This morning as I was straightening up the house the moodles were following me around. When I grabbed a blanket from the couch to fold and put away they got very excited. “You two,” I laughed “are just waiting for me to be still.”

And God replied, “So am I.”

We live in a very busy world and we often think we don’t have time to be still because we have a lot to do, you may even think that being still is a waste of time. Let me assure you it’s not, because when you are still and cuddle up with God you get love, not to mention wisdom and strength.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment