Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Suffering

Matthew 5:11-12

"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Good morning ladies,

Because of our Bible study in Philippians I have been doing a lot of thinking about suffering, and I have decided there are at least three types.

First, there is suffering related to our own personal choices. Consequences for decisions we have made certainly make us suffer, but they result in very little joy. Instead they are often accompanied by regret and embarrassment. More than once I have related to Psalm 32:4 where David writes:

For day and night

your hand was heavy upon me;
my strength was sapped
as in the heat of summer.

The only cure for that type of suffering is found in the next verse.

Then I acknowledged my sin to you

and did not cover up my iniquity.
I said, "I will confess
my transgressions to the LORD "—
and you forgave
the guilt of my sin.

Second there is the suffering that comes from being in the world. In John 16:33b Jesus said “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." So we should not be surprised when we suffer instead we should think upon the purpose of our suffering which is to test and increase our faith. James 1:2-4 says:

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

And then there is suffering for the gospel, the type of suffering seen in Jesus, Paul, and others who have devoted their lives to God and have suffered because of it. People whose willing sacrifices resulted in suffering that advanced the Gospel. It is this type of suffering Jesus was talking about in today’s verse from the Sermon on the Mount.

As I have been pondering all of this and realizing that very little of my suffering was related to advancing the Gospel, God led me to a song that Justin McRoberts wrote called Done Living; here are the words of the chorus

You see the question isn’t

Are you going to suffer any more
But what will it have meant when you are through?
The question isn’t are you going to die,
you’re going to die
But will you be done living when you do?

It is my heartfelt prayer that I accomplish all God has for me to do before I die.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment