Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Friday, November 27, 2009

Freedom

Galatians 5:1

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

Good morning ladies,

Yesterday when I was out shopping I saw a truck in the parking lot whose license plate frame said: “My son died for your freedom.”

Immediately my mother’s heart went out to the driver of that truck. I prayed for him and wondered as he looked at this country, did he think his son’s sacrifice was worth it. Were we living up to what his son had died for?

Then God said: I gave my Son as well.

And I was convicted.

God gave His Son, He allowed Him to die on the cross so that we could be free. Are we living up to the sacrifice?

Many of you have probably seen Saving Private Ryan, a gut wrenching story of the cost paid to bring one solider back to his family alive. The opening scene is supposedly one of the most realistic ever filmed on the landing at Normandy. It is incredibly hard to watch. The cost we paid to get a foothold on that little piece of land was enormous. And although it was the turning point in the War, you have to wonder if all those mothers who lost their boys thought it was worth it.

At the end of the movie old Private Ryan, who never forgot the sacrifice that was made on his behalf, is standing at the grave of one of the men who died saving him. He is reflecting back upon his life and hoping that his life was worth the sacrifice it took to save it. It is a powerful ending.

Yesterday, looking at that license plate, I realized I spend a lot of time thinking about the love of God and the power of God and very little time thinking about the sacrifice of God.

Dear Lord, You gave so much, You watched Your Son die to set us free something as a mother I cannot even imagine. How could You love us so much? And I know there is nothing I can do to repay that sacrifice, let my life be transformed by that knowledge and let me never forget that my freedom came at a cost.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment