Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving

Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Good morning ladies,

Happy Thanksgiving!

This month in Zebras we are supposed to be looking back over our own lives and thinking about the faithfulness and love of God. Our assignment was to read the historical Psalms: 66, 78, 95, 105, 106, 111, 114, 135,136 and 149 and then try and write our own.

If you have not read them I really recommend you do. These are not Psalms of gushiness about all the wonders God has done, but realistic writings about God’s faithfulness and His dealings with His unfaithful people.

When I look back over my life some of the things that I am most thankful for are the things that were most difficult to go through at the time. One of those was having my father move in.

I did not have an ideal childhood. My mother died when I was two weeks shy of my thirteenth birthday and I was raised by my father who was probably an alcoholic.

Years later when my father became ill and had no place to go my husband insisted that he move in with us. I was completely against this plan, but it didn’t matter, Gary was adamant.

My dad lived with us for two and half years and it was not easy but God knew what He was doing. Having my father here allowed me to see that he was just a man who had made a lot of mistakes and not the evil person I thought he was. And because of that I could forgive him and move on.

It also allowed my children to get to know their grandfather. Nicholas especially loved my dad and he has very fond memories of the time they spent together.

And it allowed my eight year old daughter witness to him.

A few weeks before his death Dad thanked me for taking care of him, he said he knew he didn’t deserve it and he was grateful. That really broke my heart.

None of us deserve anything and yet God gives us so much.

Take time today to be thankful.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment