Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Secret of Being Content

Philippians 4:12

I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.

Good morning ladies,

I was doing my Bible study in Philippians this morning and I was struck by this verse. This is a pretty famous verse, many of us know it, some of us even have it memorized, but this morning when I looked at it I realized it said far more than I had originally thought.

To me, this verse speaks to the fact that Paul, who often seemed to be living in dire circumstances, had learned how to be content. But it actually says a lot more it says he also knew how to be hungry when living in prosperity.

When I think of Paul, I think of his beatings, his shipwrecks, and his imprisonments, I do not think of him living in prosperity, but of course before he met Jesus he had.

Paul was born to Jewish parents who were also Roman citizens. At this time most Jews were not Roman citizens, it was an honor reserved for people who made great contributions to the Empire. Therefore, Paul's parents were probably people of influence and perhaps even moderate wealth.

Paul grew up knowing what it meant to have plenty.

At the age of fourteen Paul was sent to Jerusalem to train to be a Rabbi and since they also wanted to have something for him to fall back on during hard times, he was trained to be a tent-maker.

Paul had a bright future, things were looking good for him, but when he met Jesus on the road to Damascus his life was changed forever.

Paul had lived a life of prosperity and he had been hungry; he would now live a life of suffering and be filled.

Satisfaction and contentment does not come from our circumstances, it never has, and it never will. If it did the United States, not Disneyland, would be “The “Happiest Place on Earth.”

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment