Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Dark Night of the Soul

John 6:66-69

From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.

"You do not want to leave too, do you?" Jesus asked the Twelve.

Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We
believe and know that you are the Holy One of God."

Good morning ladies,

I shared with you yesterday that it has been a rough week for me, but Monday was the worst. I would say it was even a small crisis of faith. Pastor Kelly called it the “dark night of the soul.”

When I quit work in June I figured God and I had a deal. I would devote all my time to doing His work and He would take care of all financial issues. On Monday I realized that wasn’t really the deal.

A popular teaching is that God will not allow His people to be shamed. Verses from Psalms and Isaiah are often quoted as proof. But what I realized as I studied Paul is that God will allow His people to be shamed, in the eyes of men, IF they are willing and it advances the Gospel. Paul was shamed by the world’s standards and of course Jesus himself was shamed on the cross. Why should we be any different?

Somehow this wasn’t exactly what I had bargained for. I was so disappointed.

I spent five hours crying on Monday evening, my kids tried to comfort me by reassuring me that no matter what had made me so sad I always had God, but of course that didn’t help because God was what I was crying about.

Tuesday I had to decide what I was going to do. I could chuck it all and start subbing again or I could continue down the path that I believe God has me on. It was my choice.

Jesus is no stranger to people turning away from him and this section of scripture came to mind.

Like Peter, I really have no where else to go.

I have done the world thing, I have relied on my own strength and abilities and it was tiring and depressing. And I have done the “God thing” and it is amazing and fun.

Last night, my sixteen year old daughter, Katherine asked me what had made me so sad and although I didn’t want to tell her because I didn’t want her to think less of God, I did. After she listened to me explain, she replied “I would rather put my future in the hands of God, than depend upon myself.”

Amen.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment