Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, November 23, 2009

Precautions

Deuteronomy 6:5-7

Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

Good morning ladies,

Last Friday after I wrote to you I went for a walk, part of my new “being still” campaign in preparation for teaching at the retreat.

During the walk I started thinking of the precautions I need to take to make sure Joshua stays safe. I need to make sure the door is shut by throwing the dead bolt and I need to make him wear his collar and tags. That way if he does get out whoever finds him will know where he belongs.

Now this is no guarantee but I will feel better knowing I have taken precautions.

God showed me the same is true of my children.

Katherine and Nicholas started in Awana when they were four and three respectively and have finished a book every year for the last twelve years. They have both learned over seven hundred Bible verses.

Both kids went to Bible Study Fellowship, Nick for seven years, Katherine for six. Originally Nick went with me during the day while Katherine was in school. That made her jealous because she wanted to go to Bible study too, so Gary enrolled in the night class and started taking her. Eventually I transferred to nights and we went as a family for years. We would often go out to dinner before BSF, or stop for a treat afterwards and I remember thinking. “Dang, this is getting expensive!” Now I think it is probably some of the best money I ever spent.

I have been in a teaching role for the last eleven years, first in Awana, then in Precepts, and now Zebras. Because of this I am always thinking and praying about what God would have me say and so it is a constant topic of conversation around our house. Today’s verse is our life.

And I have modeled the faith to the best of my ability. I have prayed and studied the Word of God daily for years. I have been transparent and honest and the kids have watched me change. They can see I am not the same person I used to be, not completely different, just better.

Finally, I have prayed for them.

Now I know none of this is a guarantee my children will always follow the Lord, they do have free will, but it makes me feel better knowing, through the grace of God, I have taken precautions.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment