Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, November 16, 2009

It's All a Loss

Philippians 3:8

What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ

Good morning ladies,

I have been thinking about this verse since Friday. How could Paul consider all things rubbish compared to knowing Christ?

I mean “all things” is a lot of stuff, it isn’t just the material things we give up, it is everything, our hopes, our plans, our dreams, and our vacations. Everything. That’s a lot.

Yesterday God used a baby to show me what Paul meant.

I was standing in the lobby of church waiting for a friend. Denise was in the lobby holding Rebekah. Lisa, Rebekah’s mother was busy with Ryan so Denise had taken Rebekah. Now Rebekah seemed perfectly happy with “Auntie Denise” but then Daniel, her father walked in the room, and she lit up like a Christmas tree.

Suddenly Denise wasn’t good enough, because something better had walked in.

That’s what Paul meant. It isn’t that the things of the world aren’t great, they are. In fact God gave them for us to enjoy, but they are nothing compared to Christ himself. They are rubbish.

This morning as I was thinking about all of this I was reminded of an old hymn that I love, some of you might know it, Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus.

The chorus goes:

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face;
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace.

Follow the link below to hear it for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR0LiRiz4l4&feature=related

Have a wonderful day.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment