Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Paul's Secret

Philippians 1:12

Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel.

Good morning ladies,

It’s been sort of a rough week for me. We started the study of Philippians and I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about Paul.

When I first started studying the Bible, I decided I wanted to be like Moses and lead God’s people to the Promised Land. Then I really studied Moses and decided that spending time with all those whining Israelites would’ve probably driven me crazy.

For a short time I wanted to be David, a man after God’s own heart. But if you study David you learn he made some big mistakes and he suffered the consequences, so although I still love him and find inspiration from his story, I moved on.

For the last couple of years I’ve wanted to be Paul.

When people told me they wanted to be Paul, I thought they were crazy, You don’t need to know very much about the Bible to know Paul didn’t have it so good. Shipwrecked, beaten, stoned, imprisoned, you name it and it happened to Paul.

And yet, there is something about him.

This week I may have figured out what it is. Paul had a single purpose in life after his meeting with Jesus, and that was to advance the Gospel. Nothing else mattered. If God’s work was being accomplished, he was happy. He lived the last of the beatitudes.

Matthew 5:10

Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Paul did not suffer because of his own mistakes, nor did he suffer the circumstances of life, and make the best of it, he suffered for the Gospel and in that he found joy.

I look at people who exercise a lot and think, “Man, they look great,” but I know I’m not willing to put in all the work it takes to get there. Paul is the Mr. Universe of the Bible and I am struggling to decide if I am willing to go there.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment